Monday, February 2, 2009

George Moses Horton

Born in 1798 in Chatham County, NC, George Moses Horton lived in slavery until 1865. He taught himself to read and write even though it was against the law. While he was a slave he diligently worked as a school janitor at the University of NC at Chapel Hill, and when he was not working he wrote poems about how he felt. With the help of one of the professor’s wives, he published two books of poems. Through his poetry he helped people understand the sorrow of slavery. He hoped to save enough money to buy his freedom, but was never able to do so. However, in 1865 he was carried off by Union soldiers and traveled north to freedom.
George Moses Horton was truly a good man. Happily, after he gained his freedom, he became a famous newspaper reporter in Philadelphia. He died in Philadelphia at the age of 86. If ever there was a determined man who wanted to become free, it was George Moses Horton. Here is one of his most famous poems.

The Slave's Complaint

by George Moses Horton

Am I sadly cast aside,
On misfortune's rugged tide?
Will the world my pains deride
Forever?

Must I dwell in Slavery's night,
And all pleasure take its flight,
Far beyond my feeble sight,
Forever?

Worst of all, must Hope grow dim,
And withhold her cheering beam?
Rather let me sleep and dream
Forever!

Something still my heart surveys,
Groping through this dreary maze;
Is it Hope? -- then burn and blaze
Forever!

Leave me not a wretch confined,
Altogether lame and blind --
Unto gross despair consigned,
Forever!

Heaven! in whom can I confide?
Canst thou not for all provide?
Condescend to be my guide
Forever:

And when this transient life shall end,
Oh, may some kind eternal friend
Bid me from servitude ascend,
Forever!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting story of a man striving to improve his life and not just expecting it all to come from someone else. He work his situation the best he could while still having hope for a better day knowing that it would ultimately come when this life comes to an end.

Unknown said...

this is my favorite post so far. keep the surprises coming!!

DR_N007 said...

Very well written... good form and development, and nice use of structure bringing it all to a close with one of his poems.

Paladin said...

Wow hey JC it took me a while to figure out who you were, thanks for following my blog!

Lenny said...

Another reason I really like your blog, you do find these neat, interesting profiles of real people who make a mark in their lives and also in the lives of others. His story is one that really should be more well known